Tuesday 31 January 2012

New Feet

Ok, so not quite new feet, but new orthotics for my trainers.  I have mixed feelings.  I'm glad that it may sort the pain in my toes (although that hasn't affected the running so far, more the classes like Body Combat) however i'm a little peeved as the old orthotics i paid £40 for, which of course was after i'd paid £60 for the appointment!

I do wish the NHS would work faster sometimes, in fact if the original NHS physios had done their job properly in the first place, i could have saved a fortune! Anyway rant over back to training.

Even though the sun started to shine while i was with the podiatrist it was still very chilly and i'd left the house dressed for the gym, so i certainly wasn't going outside in 3/4 capris & a short sleeve t-shirt.  So at the gym i picked a treadmill right next to the window to at least try and make me feel like i was outside.... yeh i know, but it's worth a try!  I plugged in a goal on 3 miles & then increased the speed, initially settling at a pace of 8.45 min/mile.  It felt like really hard work but then i was running faster than i would outdoors.  That's one reason i do like the treadmill for short distances, i can push the pace and try and increase my speed.  I'm sure that i read somewhere that short runs should be faster & long runs should be taken at a steadier pace.  After all long runs are all about endurance.  I tried really hard not check how much further i had to go or how much longer it was going to take because i just think it make it seem to go on even longer!  That's certainly a benefit to running outside, the distance & time seems to past so much quicker!

So i made the 3 miles, reasonably pain free - i stocked up on blister plasters when i popped into town after & i think i need to invest in some new socks.  Tomorrow is supposed to be 6 miles.  I'm not sure.  Maybe if i find the right route.  For example get the bus into town & run home.  That way i have to get home on foot! Trouble with living in a village is that there are no pavements between the local town & the villages which means running on busy roads.  I've seen plenty of people running on it & hopefully in my fluorescent yellow i should be visible enough. It will be an afternoon run as i am out early tomorrow & won't be back until lunch time, so perhaps i'll find another route over lunch.  It is quite nice running near the gym as i can have a good stretch after using the power plate & in the warm.

I did discover something new today whilst stretching - i can almost do the splits! I shall try and get photographic evidence of that for amusement.  Just another situation where i wished i had a smart phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment